History of the Grounds
We are most proud of our Camp Ground Historic District being put on the National Registry of Historic Places by the National Park Services, U.S. Dept. of the Interior September 10, 1987, in recognition of historical and architectural significance.
In 1878 our Camp Ground found its final home in Lancaster, Ohio. Spiritual tent revivals soon expanded to a permanent spiritual oasis. Over 100 cottages were built by 1882. At its peak there were about 400 cottages with about 245 remaining. Approximately 160 are used as year-round residences. Currently we have 58 acres.
Our cafeteria is used for summer lunches, holiday meal gatherings, etc.
In 1995, a 24 hookup camping sight was built, with electric, water, nearby sewage station and restrooms/showers.
The Grocery Store building was originally Young People’s Camp Meeting Union for meetings. It was known as the Columbus Chapel. In later years, it became a grocery and remained that into the 1970s.
Our grounds are designed with the 120 foot square Davis Auditorium being its center. It sits majestically on the hilltop with eight streets branching from it in the form of a wagon wheel. Loving reservation is ongoing, as it is with all our 19th Century non-resident structures.
A Camp Ground of Christian Heritage.
Copeland Pool 1920
Grocery Store 1882
Davis Auditorium 1895
Mission & Purpose